Friday, February 29, 2008

If looks could kill


I was looking through some of the pictures I had taken these last few months deciding which ones would be worth keeping. It was hard to decide. Don’t get me wrong, they are not all masterpieces; on the contrary, they are average family pictures with the subject out of focus, not centered, or in bad lighting.

Which reminds me of something I have heard from a speaker recently – it seems that in our American society “looking good” and “feeling good” have replaced “being good” and “doing good” as primary core values. With messages like “image is everything” and popular media focusing so much on looks, no wander we have lost our perspective.

So what can we do about it? Actually, more to the point, what do I do about it? I have to have my values straight, my priorities in order, and the discipline to hold on to them. I believe I will need at least two things: (1) a daily “recalibration” and rededication to my values, (2) a set of values that are timeless (i.e. they do not change based on trends or the latest jargon). I already have a set of timeless values from the Scriptures, now I have to focus on the daily discipline to be the man that God intends me to be.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a spiritually successful recipe for not only "doing good" and "being good" but also "feeling good" and "looking good" because Christ's light will surely shine through your life as you seek to align it with Him. Very helpful, easy to use points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that it was as useful to you as it was to me. Thanks for taking the time to let me know – it is an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete